Saturday 30 November 2013

Connie McDonald, New Zealand Photographer

Connie McDonald is a 19 year old photographer from New Zealand. She loves documentaries, interesting people and stickers. She is positive and has a real lust for the beauty that can be found every single day. 




When did you first start take up photography? 
My first photographic experience was being allowed a whole roll of 35mm film in my parents' SLR to document the growth and release of our tadpoles when I was in primary school. Although, I have been living through a lens since 2010.


Where in New Zealand do you most prefer to take photos? The cities, amongst nature or suburbia?
I spend a lot of my time in the small town of Wanaka in New Zealand during my university holidays. This place is the ultimate source of inspiration for me. I watch sunrises and sunsets, with all their colours swimming into each other; there are many walks one can do, there are also so many summer roses in our garden. Taking time to let the elements of the earth wash over you is a great way to refresh. Lake Wanaka is very cold, sometimes I go for a night swim, other times I like to go and sit out in the rain or let the wind play with my hair. Nature will help you if you let it. I find nature refreshing, but i love the energy of the city also. 


What and who are your favourite things to take photos of? 
I photograph what interests me. I photograph people, places and moments I love. I don't want to lie. I love the people I photograph. They are part of my life, I enjoy their existence, and I want to photograph that, I want to record my feelings. 


Your photography is such a mix of styles and themes does this reflect on you personally or the subject/place of your photos? 
I photograph what is around me. I find the idea of genre photography to be limiting. I like photographing landscapes around me, but I do not what to only be a 'landscape photographer'. I photograph me friends in silly outfits with trinkets from the $2 shop but I do not want to only a 'fashion photographer'. I want to photograph the cinematic moments of life that grab me, and beg for documentation. 


All of your photos are so unique in how they've been photographed. Do you use editing programs or certain cameras to get the effects that you achieve? 
I do not use photoshop much. All the dreamy-ness is done in-camera, not post production. I use a lot of film, both black and white and colour, and I enjoy the physical result of a negative, it's tangibility, it's object-ness. I celebrate film grain, light leaks and film edges. 


In each of your photos is there a certain look/emotion/feel that you're trying to capture? 
In every moment I like to respond to emotions I am feeling by translating them into photographs. The immersion in ones emotions brings interesting responses photographically.


What has been your best memory and moment in relation to your photography? 
I loved photographing the kids I babysit, Grace and Alice, as they practised ballet in their studio. Their comfort, confidence and innocence was so beautiful. I love those girls.


If you could give any advice to girls wanting to become photographers or have it as a hobby, what would it be? 
Life is a journey that you are able to document. I think that is the greatest gift of all. Celebrate your favourite places, people and moments through photographs.


The New Year is approaching, do you have any goals for the future? 
I want to go to new places, meet new people, be curious and happy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment