Wednesday 6 November 2013

Interview with Taya Iv



We were lucky enough recently to be able to interview, Photographer, Blogger and Online Editor, Taya Iv.  She talks to us about her plans for the future, her love of photography and how it all started and advice for young writers. Take the time to read her answers, and you will quickly see how how inspiring this sixteen year old really is. 


(1) When did you first discover your passion for photography and writing? 
I discovered both passions at different points in life. I was always an avid writer without realising; I spent my days scribbling in my diary. When I was 8 years old my teacher introduced our class to snail mail and my first ever letter was sent to an Irish boy thousands of kilometers away. From then on my discovery of my love for words and writing started revealing more of itself to me. I discovered photography when I was 12 years of age. I was surfing the Internet looking for images to use as references for drawings (for it was the passion for drawing that I knew I had from a very young age) when I came across DeviantArt. DeviantArt showed me all the arts varying from writing to illustration to photography and much more. I found so many photographers whose work ignited a flame within me that was always there. I just needed a spark and the first photographers I met were the candles that shared their dreams with me and set my passion on fire. I had a camera phone which I used to take self-portraits. From then on I have been upgrading my equipment and falling in love with capturing memories over and over again. I have never looked back since then.

(2) Your photography is portrayed in such a beautiful and positive light. Would you say thats a personal perspective on how you see the world surrounding you? 
I look at the world through ‘nature’s glasses’ as I call it. Nature has its course and it does not rush at all; I do my best to follow its lead.  Having been thrown into difficult situations I see no other way but to stay tough and focus on the wonderful things I have in life. Without hope I would definitely be someone completely different in a negative way. This is why I like expressing my love, fear and other emotions with the world through my images to inspire them to continue on loving their lives no matter how crushed they feel. So to answer your question, yes! :)

(3) Do you prefer to take photos amongst nature? 
Definitely. I really love how perfect nature turns out in images no matter how gloomy a day is. 

(4) When you travel, what do you hope to gain from that experience? 
When I travel, I strive to learn as much as I can from the people and nature there. It’s easy to think that what we have around us is exactly the same elsewhere; I enjoy proving to myself that every country has its light and its darkness, both of which I tend to see or feel and both of which are totally different to what I am used to. 

(5) You’re the Editor of Tranquility Magazine, could you explain to us how you first came up with the idea to create it? 
Tranquility Magazine was invented by a fellow photographer who asked me to be the magazine’s editor. It was purely her idea to create and share incredible, life-giving images with the rest of the world and give as much inspiration as possible to a world that sometimes lacks it. We are currently working on the magazine and hoping that by next year we will have a lot of new content to share with everyone. Fingers crossed!

(6) You have a lot of online support on your social media outlets, how did you first react to that attention? 
I was surprised and confused (still am now actually, even more) that someone takes the time to look through my photos and send me support. I wish with all of my heart that I can do the same to everyone else, because the amount of love that we all have can just be the trigger that will change the world. 

(7) What are your views when it comes to feminism and women’s rights?
Feminism is amazing. Women should be equal in a way that will benefit the world and I am sure that if handled carefully, the situation of inequality will calm down. I myself am a strong believer of the fact that every female should have a right to education, jobs and much more. Nobody should be brought down just because of their gender. Seeing society becoming enlightened by the support women give to other women who need it overjoys me and I hope I can be a part of that community of women who inspire, love and fight for their rights by giving out kindness to others.

(8) We have been wanting to know this for a while, how long did it take to grow your hair to the length you have now? 
 My lovely mum was kind enough to never cut my hair since my birth. As a young girl herself she would always be forced by her parents to cut hers because it was hectic to handle long hair in those times. She always regretted leaving her locks behind in a hair salon and decided to give her daughter the freedom of choosing what to do with hers. I am so thankful. The only cutting we do is trimming!

(9) Could you share with us a few of your dreams and aspirations for the New Year? 
 I am so excited for the New Year!  I am in a situation where I have to decide where I will be travelling to next to study and I have a feeling that my plans will be complete by next year. Moving again will be amazing and I cannot wait to start studying alongside other passionate individuals. My other plans are linked to Tranquility magazine (and the publication of future issues), a photography calendar and maybe a book. Thank you for asking this question, it reminded me of how much I can look forward to and work hard for even from now

(10) If you could give any advice to young photographers and writers like yourself, what would it be? 
Writers, keep a journal with you no matter where you are. Listen to music, let your mind flow. Forget your boundaries and write as much as your heart desires. If your hand begins to ache but your heart still wants to speak, write more. It’s easy to think that you will remember every minuscule moment and document it later. Truth it, you will forget or, if you will remember, it will not sound as honest or as detailed as it would if you wrote it at the moment or a short while after. Write, even if you don’t feel like it. 
Photographers, do the same with your cameras. It’s easy to let a moment go because you can’t be bothered to take out your equipment or you feel like it will not turn out right. Whenever that happens, think of this: What if your next shot will be the beginning of a new series or something that will inspire people out there? Get out of your way and see how much that will motivate yourself and others. Photograph so you can feel energy, more inspiration and more love for what you do. I think that goes for every other hobby there is out there. Fight your fears, your worries and your pain by using your talent to create something that will become not only your remedy, but possible the remedy of thousands out there. A lot of people need inspiration and you might just be who they need right now. So don’t stop; keep on creating. 
Do you hear your heart beating? It’s pumping blood for you, isn’t that incredible? Your existence is just as real as anyone else’s which means you can go beyond all limits and reach your dreams. Don’t forget to allow your passion to flow in you so you can feel more energy and inspire the world with your existence. You can do this.


You can find Taya here: 

2 comments:

  1. Taya is an amazing young woman with a very bright future. The world needs all the young people like her it can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice of you but... I truly think I'm not good enough

    ReplyDelete